September's Blog

September has been an exciting and challenging transition into graduate school. With my background in the ER, learning about antibiotics with Dr. Datta, as well as colchicine and carvedilol with Dr. Katakam  has been especially interesting. Being able to connect medications that I have encountered in the ER to their MOAs has given a different and exciting perspective on pharmacology. I am especially excited to begin the cardiovascular module, as cardiology has always been my favorite area and is what I hope to pursue in the future. 

After the first three exams, I have realized that the material builds upon itself rapidly and consistently. I have been spending a significant amount of time studying and still need to improve the efficiency with which I do it in. My study methods improved during my last year of undergrad, but this program is proving that I need to update and better my ways. One particular area I am looking to better in is keeping track of all the drugs by the time we get to May, but also for my future career in medicine. With as many drugs as there are already, and with more to come, I need to get better at keeping up with them. 

Outside of the classroom, the Pharmacology faculty have been incredibly supportive, and my cohort is filled with awesome people, so it's been an easier transition to a new program and city. It's been fun talking spots with Dr. Katakam before class and Ms. Linda in the early mornings with the sign in sheet. Going to weekly dinners and studying with everyone deep into the night, and making memories like my first Saints game have made this September absolutely amazing. I am excited to begin volunteering at free clinics in October and pushing through the rest of this program. 

Comments